Thursday, May 26, 2011

Nuremberg and the AMA wrapup

I quick word about Nuremberg. This was the one tour I really didn't want to see. I couldn't imagine honoring the gathering place where the Nazi's stood in formation responding to Hitler. We just returned from a very interesting tour given by a representative from the Historical Museum. Werner explained how the Nazi's came into power and how they used propaganda to further their cause. Throughout the tour, he explained how important it was to educate children so they can be aware if a Nazi like situation should it arise again. Interesting man!

Tonight is our last evening on the Amalegro. It has been a very good experience - and I would definitely sail with them again. Our ship was kept exceptionally clean. The timing and organization of their itinerary and tours works very well. Our room was small yet comfortable. I especially liked the shower doors rather than shower curtains. It's the staff that really makes this a wonderful cruise experience. Thank you Kate our wonderful and funny Cruise Manager!

For the most part I enjoyed the AMA Waterways tours. It is my rule of thumb never to take ships' tours but because AMA includes most the the tours in their pricing, I wanted to experience the tours myself. One has to be aware that the pace of the tours takes longer than an individual tour because of the time spent to organize 20 people plus delays for bathroom breaks. Normally, I really don't have the patience for this. The tours were more overviews rather than in depth with the exception of the concert in Vienna. At least I know which cities I would like to revisit and spend more quality time in. I will return to Vienna and Budapest. I would love to drive through the Wacher Valley in Austria as well. Prague is tomorrow and I'll follow up with Prague in my next blog.

I would definitely recommend AMA Waterways to my clients. River cruising is different from traditional cruising. It is just so much more relaxed.l Right now, I'm writing this blog in my room with the "French" balcony open. I've been watching small villages go by, been through a number of locks along the Danube River, have watched floating ducks and swans and heard birds singing in the trees. Is this a 5 star experience? No, the the accommodations are too small for this and while the food is plentiful and good, it's just not great. The service and attention to making sure that you are enjoying yourself balances everything out. AMA Waterways is known as a premium river cruise company and I would give this a 4+ star rating out of 5.

No comments:

Post a Comment