Thursday, October 13, 2011

Our 35 hour LA to the Wine Lands of So. Africa adventure

...well, we made it! 3 planes later and a few delays. Here are some surprises...
British Air was very nice. The staff couldn't have been more friendly. So thank you, British Air.
We landed in Cape Town and were driven to Franschoek. The airport was outside of Cape Town so went through rolling hills, past shanty towns that the driver was embarrased by through Stellenbosch to Franschoek. The routing reminded me of a smaller Sonoma/Napa. Stellenbosch boasts 300 wineries and Franschoek has less. Stellenbosch has a 30,000 student college. The city is compact with cute little boutiques. Of course, I HAD to stop at a children's boutique for my first purchase...dresses for my new granddaughter, Maddy.
Tomorrow, I will describe our wonderful hotel, Le Quartier Francais and it's lovely General Manager, Linda Coltart.
Mari

No comments:

Post a Comment