Monday, October 29, 2012

CIAO ROMA!!!

Pompeii, Vespas and Rome
October 2012


MARI (me) ON A VESPA!!!!!!!




Dave (son-in-law) demonstrating
 how to use an Ancient Toilet (2010 trip)
On the way to Rome from the Amalfi Coast, we stopped in PompeiiPompeii is a perfect add-on to the Amalfi Coast or a long day excursion from Rome.  My favorite tour company for Italy, I.C. Bellagio was a hit again because we had a fantastic licensed guide.  She knew all the hidden places to visit (in addition to the “must see” brothel) and kept us from being behind the crowds.  Pompeii is open year round and my recommendation is to do the tour in the morning to avoid the heat and the crowds.  Pompeii is unfortunately not good for those with mobility issues.  The stone walkways were a killer!  Also, Pompeii is not for young children.  Children under 10 will be bored!



Colosseum
Until this trip, I really have never loved Rome.  It was just another BIG CITY with ancient monuments…until now...  I experienced Roma on a vintage VESPA as part of my education experience with I.C. Bellagio.  My wonderful Italian driver and I drove past the squares and the fountains of Rome as well as past the Colosseum, the Piazza del Popolo and Piazza Navona.   I was able to experience my own “Roman Holiday” (just like the movie with Audrey Hepburn).   I felt like a real Roman as we passed by cars and pedestrians going 30 km/hr.  I was so nervous at the thought of doing this tour however, the Vespa tour was DEFINITELY a highlight for me and for our group!

Example of a Gladiator Class
Our Vespa tour ended near the Colosseum.  We grabbed a pizza and got ready for our very special I.C. Bellagio Underground Tour of the Colosseum.  This tour must be arranged in advance and guests must be guided with a licensed guide AND a curator of the Colosseum. 

Speaking of I.C. Bellagio, they have specialty tours for every interest from cooking classes, to winery tours, and even gelato and pizza classes for families as well as a Gladiator Class for children 10 and under.  Their Gladiator Class would be fun before touring the Colosseum.




Example of a room at
The First Hotel
We were in Rome for two nights and stayed at two distinctly different hotels.  The first hotel was called…The First Hotel!  The First Hotel is a modern, chic, great new hotel 3 minutes from Hotel de Russie near Rome’s great shopping area.  They are currently not part of Virtuoso but for me, our wonderful sales rep. will add Virtuoso type amenities (including their fabulous breakfast)!  The hotel is part of Preferred Boutique Hotels. 

The First Hotel has the most amazing art collection – definitely worth seeing.  The rooms at the First Hotel are quite nice.  My only complaint (and they are working on this) was the lighting in the bathrooms.  The Junior Suites with Jacuzzis are amazing and sexy – great for honeymooners and couples.  We loved room 405 and room 101!  They even have connecting rooms which are perfect for families.


Regina Hotel Baglioni
Our second hotel, the Regina Hotel Baglioni was in a good location on the Via Veneto.  After staying at The First Hotel, we found the rooms to have a heavier old school Italian feeling.  The rooms are classified as either “Classic” or “Deco”.  I found the “Classic” rooms to be well appointed but dark.  I much preferred the “Deco” rooms.  I loved the General Manager and the Restaurant Captain but felt that the breakfast needed better options and service.




Thank you for reading my adventures through London, Provence, the Amalfi Coast and Rome…

Ciao!

Mari 


No comments:

Post a Comment