Tuesday, March 5, 2013

A Taste of Sonoma & then My "HOME": Napa Valley

A TASTE OF SONOMA AND THEN MY “HOME”: 
NAPA VALLEY, CA
Sonoma, CA
Picture from our Private Tasting at 750 Wines in December 2012
As many of you know, I've been to the Napa Valley for over 50 times.  It really is my second home.  I love the people, the feel, of course the wine and food and the beauty.  Periodically, people ask me about Sonoma and while I've visited the Sonoma Valley many times, I had not experienced it for a few days together.   For this trip, I wanted to discover a few gems that Sonoma had to offer and then return to My “home”: Napa.


My good friend Monica from 750 Wines (in St. Helena, CA) helped arrange a few wine tastings in Sonoma and Napa.  


Chocolate Pot de Crème
Arista Winery
The first day, we went to Arista Winery and then LimmerickWines. I preferred Arista.  We decided to stop for lunch at Chacuterie and enjoyed their friendly service and great soup and ribeye sandwich.  They had my favorite chocolate pot de crème that Jeff “forced” me to try.  All I can say was it was worth the calories!  We walked around the city square to get a feel of 2013 Healdsburg.


Hotel Le Mars
While we were in Healdsburg, I went over to do a site visit at Hotel Le Mars.  Hotel Le Mars is a Relais and Chateaux property in the heart of Healdsburg.  It is a lovely property with 16 spacious rooms on 2 floors and I would recommend it to anyone who wants experience a day/evening in Healdsburg.  It has a country french feel (my personal favorite interior design style) and is known for its wonderful service.


Farmhouse Inn
We checked into Farmhouse Inn in the late afternoon.  Farmhouse Inn is 15-20 minutes south of Healdsburg off a country road.  The Inn has 16 rooms in all.  Two above the restaurant which are really small and only good for 1 night.  There are 6 rooms along the path from the road toward the back of the property which were cozy and had wood burning fireplaces.  If you are okay with “road noise” (white-noise), then these rooms are perfect because of their coziness.   The last 8 rooms are their Barn Rooms which were the most modern and spacious and had gas burning fireplaces.  We stayed in one of the Barn Rooms. The rooms were very comfortable and we liked our rooms location toward the rear of the property overlooking the trees.


We stayed at Farmhouse Inn for two nights.  We had dinner in Guerneville at Zazu which had the feel of “real” Sonoma County.  Good meal with sizable portions and I would recommend that you try it.


Zazu
MacPhail Winery
The following day, we drove to MacPhail Winery which was my favorite winery in Sonoma!  They had wonderful wines to taste and buy – which we did!


Martinelli Winery
We met our friends, Jose and Sherri at Barndiva for lunch.  We enjoyed our lunch outside on their courtyard and discussed the rest of the itinerary with them.  After lunch, we stopped at Bell Wines and did an impromptu tasting at Martinelli Winery then returned to check Sherri and Jose in at Farmhouse Inn.  Farmhouse Inn was having a dining event, “Dueling Sommeliers” that we had prepaid for.  Our dinner was fun and engaging.


The following morning, we left Sonoma for “home” in Napa.  My takeaway from Sonoma versus Napa is that I am still a Napa person.  Two nights in Sonoma are plenty to get a feel of this part of the world.  I would add visiting the Valley of the Moon in Sonoma if I had an extra half day.  I would recommend either the Farmhouse Inn and Hotel Le Mars and would guide you based on the experience you preferred – country versus city.



Look out for my next blog: Part II, “Back in Napa”!


The World is Our Playground!

Mari

No comments:

Post a Comment